Each "book" (today they are in binders) consists of 7 supplements. If you buy a current kit the book will come with current patterns, or supplements. Some people buy an old system, say from the 70's, and the supplements will be from that time period, yet the rules will still be the same.
The only time it gets a bit wonky is with really old books, which I can possibly review at a later date.
Okay, so what are the basic guidelines?
Take a look at your book. You will see the patterns are numbered 1 - 280.
Each supplement is numbered with the following patterns:
1-40
41-80
81-120
121-160
161- 200
201-240
140-280
That will give you the 280 patterns per book. But the books aren't the same. The one you order today will be different than the one I ordered 3 years ago, the styles have changed a bit. So when someone says they need help with pattern #145, I have no clue which pattern that might be unless I have a supplement number.
Let's now find the supplement number.
Get your book and some sticky notes.
On the first page with pattern number 1, there will be some printing on the side of the page, where the binding rings are . That will tell the year of your pattern and the supplement number. It also tells the season the supplement came out.
02 is for Spring
05 is for Summer
08 is for Fall
11 is for Winter
So let's analyze that right now. Here's the first page of a book. You see I have a sticky note that says it's Supplement 273. The next photo shows the information between the binder rings enlarged.


You can see the year is Roman Numeral MMIX, which is 2009 (I often have to use an online converter). The numbers 027305 are now broken up to mean Supplement 273 (0273) and the 05 means Summer.
Here are some more to figure out. And remember, you will find these always on the first page of patterns # 1, 41, 81, 121, 161, 201, 241.

So this one is from 2005, Supplement #256, and published in the Spring.

This supplement is from 2008, Supplement #269, published in Summer.

This is Supplement #254, published in the Fall of 2009.

This last one is Supplement # 271, published in the Winter of 2008.
Dang, those roman numerals sure can be tricky.
Now take your sticky notes and figure out which supplements are in your book. It will surprise you to find that they may cover a couple year time frame, and the supplements do not seem to be in any specific order. I'll be honest and say I have not figured it out so far, and I have a bunch of books.
Hopefully that helps, and next time some one asks you which supplement a pattern is from, you will be able to figure it out fairly easily.
Unless of course, you have gotten them all out of order. Then you are doomed.
Enjoy.
Thank you for the good info, Annette. Readers can get more on this blog: https://sewingnhumming.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-do-you-know-which-supplements-are.html
ReplyDeleteWell written and very helpful -- thank you!
ReplyDeleteHvorfor bliver de Lutterloh ved med at skrive årstal i romertal??
ReplyDeleteNormale årstal er da meget lettere at læse og kræver ikke, at man skal på nettet for at "veksle" O:)
Perfect thank you so much
ReplyDelete