Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Notes to self about Lutterloh Patterns

I've already read through the entire thread about Lutterloh on Pattern Review, and I'm actually reading through it a second time and taking a few notes for myself.  Luckily I have enough experience with patterns to understand what I've been doing so far, but I'm sure I'll be stumped at some point.

I was reading on the PR thread about the grainline and one person mentioned how she couldn't "establish" it and someone else mentioned copying the grainline from the little pattern to the drawn off pattern.

My "note to self"...that is wrong.  The grainline is drawn on the pattern, but you don't establish it until you've drawn off the pattern.  For example, the grainline of a back pattern piece will always be going straight down the center back, but the little drawing doesn't know if your bust starts at 100 and hips go to 120, or if it is 85 cm and hips 110.  That back grainline will appear different than the little yellow lutterloh pattern.  And the grainline of a front piece is parallel to the center front, which is marked on the pattern.

I did a little googling to verify the sleeve grainline.  Here's a perfect description of how to find it on the Fashion Incubator - How to find grainline on a sleeve.

I really see where people can get confused by these patterns, thinking it "should look" like the little yellow drawing, but no, it shouldn't at all, it should look like whatever it will look like based on your numbers.

I whipped up a little sweatshirt yesterday, finished it up today.  It's super cozy.  I have a long way to go to understand some of the fit, it's a little too large, but it's also a sweatshirt.  I think I'll redraw it a little smaller and compare the pattern.  I'd like to make it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment