Monday, October 6, 2025

Jacket Process

Truth be told, I have finished the jacket and it's really nice.  But in this post I'll show a few photos of the process.  I haven't done any "real" photos yet of me wearing it as that takes putting on real clothes, doing my hair and wearing make up too.

I did interface the entire jacket.  Here is the shawl collar being attacked to a sort of collar stand.  I need to make a note on the pattern to enlarge the outer/top collar edge a bit to help with the "turn of the collar."  Lots of good pressing, using the clapper is really helpful and easy with wool.  


Here you can see all the seams, and there are a ton.  The shawl collar is sewn to the collar stand which is then sewn to the jacket fronts, raglan sleeve, side backs and center backs.  Once again, lots of steam and lots of pressing.



A quick try on in my messy sewing room.  I can see it's looking pretty good.

I want less seams in my lining, so I joined the Center back and side backs together, just overlapped the 3/8" seam  allowance and put it on the fold.  Don't forget the lining is cut at the length of the finished jacket if you plan on bagging it, same with the sleeves.

Here I was super smart.  I have the zipper basted in properly on one side only, ready to be top-stitched.  But the other side is only basted down on the main fabric.  I am using that opening to do my jacket bagging technique.  Seriously, it just came to me as I was working on it, and I feel like I created a super smart technique, since you now have lots of working space on the inside of the jacket.

Since I have that wonderful space, I am now hand hemming the inside of the jacket so there is no chance of sagging and bagging.  It turned out great.  I always have to follow tutorials off of Pinterest to remember how to do a nice lining join.  I forgot to take photos of that, I might write it out some time in the future.


That's it for now, the jacket IS done.  I'll post photos and the PatternReview review in the near future.  I've started already on my second item for the challenge and it involves pants fitting, never a fun chore.









No comments:

Post a Comment