Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Too many magazines

Some time back I had this strange desire to emulate other fantastic sewers and their desire to follow fashion by reading fashion magazines. I was going to make a fashion bulletin board (the bulletin board is still in it's plastic wrap.) So I sat down at the bookstore one day with a pile of magazines, picked out my favorites, and took the subscription cards out of them. Oh, I also wanted inexpensive magazines.

Mailed those darn cards in and a few months later I was being inundated with fashion magazines.



Just remembered I forgot "More" and the subscription to "Oxygen" (but that one isn't mine.

This was an absolute mistake on my part. While one or two magazines a month "might" be okay for me, I truly dislike magazines. Maybe I should say I dislike fashion magazines.

.........WAIT......Burda comes every month too (I think I might drop that subscription) and Ottobre, and Modellina. My daughter's been picking up La Mia Boutique for me.

Um....I'm sure not getting much sewing done lately.

I truly am not into fashion. I do not watch Project Runway or Mad Men. I've been to NYC twice now this year and have yet to step into a clothing store other than Filene's Basement, and only my daughter got something. I didn't even go fabric shopping last time I was there (just too darn busy being a tourist.)

So I place all those magazines in the magazine rack in the bathroom, thumb through them a bit. Maybe I see a pair of boots I like, but you'll never find me buying them. I guess I just don't get it, the whole fashion thing that is.

When the magazine subscriptions run out I will probably stick to my favorite, one I've gotten for a super long time now, Allure. I also think Lucky is fun to look at.

And I will also say, it's not that I think any of the magazines are bad, it's just that it was overload on my part.

I'm not a fashionista.

3 comments:

  1. Annette, you are so much a woman after my own heart. I appreciate fashion, and I can look better than okay, but high heeled boots pinch and I just don't feel like myself wearing really fashionable clothing. They just don't suit my lifestyle. (dog, cats, gardens)
    I was a tomboy as we were called back then. I like my 'play clothes' and I still do.
    To know yourself is a good thing.
    Your bras are pretty cute, though, Annette.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Annette, thanks for saying this out loud. I actually like to snoop shop in high end retailers but the whole magazine thing is so outlandish that it does me no good. Yes, Burda and Ottobre Woman are enough fashion for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto!
    My thoughts exactly..

    ReplyDelete