Like I said, I haven't started to talk about the whole style thing yet, but needless to say, I'm not what I'm always trying to be. Maybe that makes sense, maybe not.
I started to work on a pattern I started on in the past but never completed. This is the Eureka! Pants that Fit pattern from Fit for Art. I think I won it once from a Pattern Review contest. I can make pants that fit, I'm shaped like a soft block, but I don't always like how I look.
One thing that keeps popping into my head after the style consult was that it's not about my body (though it is to some extent) but more to how I feel about clothes and my personality and such.
I made up a quick muslin today starting with the size M with the Back 2 (there are 3 back pieces per size - flat, medium and curvaceous....my words, not theirs.)
Now I will post the first few muslins and you will have a peek into my messy sewing room also:
These first two are on my phone, straight out of the envelope with no darts sewn in (eek.) But you can see the balance lines are all straight.


Instead of just making a hem I shortened 3 inches above the knee. Other alterations were to let out the waist so I could put darts in the back. I also did some tucking and darting out to make the fit better. You don't get to see that all, it's pretty much "fitting a la Peggy Sagers."

This is a completed photo on the cell phone, doesn't the front look great, a few wrinkles in the back but I've accepted that we have to move around and this fabric has zippo stretch. It's a nice menswear wool/poly blend. I have enough to perfect a 2nd pair of pants if I choose.

Here I had my son take a few photos out in the garden and this is the harsh reality. There are always more folds than you think.

I think these are really nice... and who stands still very often? I like the fabric as well. And no matter if there are minor wrinkles, you still made PANTS. And got someone to take pictures! And got it posted! I would call that a win on all fronts, with even better to come on the ne t round. Keep at it. Looking forward to your progress
ReplyDeleteThe pants look great! I have been trying to master a pair for myself for a year. If I can ever get as nice a fit as you have I will not care about a few wrinkles. Good Work.
ReplyDelete