I measured out for a 38E (actually needing more than a 38 band). I drew out the pattern for the 38 E and added 1/2" at the underseams, for a total of 2 more inches.
The fit was pretty darn good except for bagginess in the cups. The band felt perfect. I wore the bra for a few days to break it in.
In the Craftsy class, Beverly pretty much said to drop down a cup size if the cup was baggy, shes doesn't seem to go into anymore fit options, so my only choice then was to go to a 38D.
Ha ha...the 38D is on a whole separate pattern, which I didn't have, nor any of my local sewing pals.
I sucked up the dollars and ordered the pattern.
Just looking at the pattern and comparing it to the 38E pieces, I could tell the fit model was totally different. A smaller cup uses less support in the band and side seams. But I sewed it up to test, and I was right, the cup was too small and the band not supportive enough at all for my body type.
At that point I went back to my original pattern and redrew out the pattern, but instead of tracing out the 38 E, I traced out all the pattern pieces right between the 38 E and 36 E. The amounts are just a tiny bit smaller, but perhaps that was all I needed. I also made sure the band was the full 38 width.
I decided to dye some fabric and use the butterfly technique in the Craftsy class. I'm totally satisfied with the general fit of the new bra that's just a smidgen smaller than the 38E.
Where I had issues was with the fabric dying. The main fabric didn't change but the slightest amount, from white to palest pink. And then I had a hard time with top-stitching thread colors. I was trying so hard, and then goofed, and then said what the hell....let it be.
It is missing a bow, I don't have any bows and I'm not much of a bow person, but it does look better when there is one. I'll keep working on it.
Where I had issues was with the fabric dying. The main fabric didn't change but the slightest amount, from white to palest pink. And then I had a hard time with top-stitching thread colors. I was trying so hard, and then goofed, and then said what the hell....let it be.
It is missing a bow, I don't have any bows and I'm not much of a bow person, but it does look better when there is one. I'll keep working on it.



It looks like a good fit nice to have you back blogging
ReplyDeleteI often use a cute button or bead instead of a bow - a charm also works!
ReplyDelete