I ordered 4 patterns the other day and immediately got to work on Giorgio's Top. I did a lot of reading first about the sizing on different forums and like so many other was confused. But Peggy reassures us on on the webcasts that it's okay and I decided to just go for it.
Here's the photo and the envelope back:
I decided I wanted the finished full bust to be 38" (same as my full bust) and since I read others found it large I cut out the size 4 which is a 36" finished bust. I used the D cup (heck, who knows why). I added an extra 5/8" to the shoulder seam for fitting purposes.
Um...it came out so large there was no way it would fit. It was about 44" at the bust. What????? And this depressed me and I wanted to trash the whole idea, but I told myself it's just a muslin and that I really want to learn how to do this right. So I analyzed what was too big. I basically calculated out that the size 3 would fit, But I did like the fit on the sleeves, the size 4.
I fudged the D cup down to the C cup, kinda sorta, took in the other appropriate seams, and stitched it up. And yup, it fit pretty darn right
Actually the center back and center front pieces I made size 2 so the princess seam would be closer to my bust and that worked out well.
And yes, I did adjust this on my pattern.
I immediately sewed up another copy and it fits great. Now I'm still not too sure what I think about the fabric though. I didn't take a pic of it on me cause it's super cold outside, and I look like a dog today. I'll get a photo soon for my real review on PR.
Which gets me to thinking. I have no taste in clothes. Yet I am attracted to crazy fabrics because they are just so fun. This one I got at our Pinheads Christmas exchange a couple years ago and I love it, but I don't know if I love it on me. I do think wearing some slim black slacks and an interesting necklace would help. Maybe I'll work on that idea for wearing it to Christmas Eve dinner. Somewhere different, not my norm...it would be a good experiment for me.


Love the print - slim black slacks would be perfect...what about some big bright green dichroic glass earrings?
ReplyDeleteWow, that sure looks cute. I love the shoulders, very flattering.
ReplyDeleteI too love peggy's generosity, her current designs in patterns but have had little success with an actual garment. But I still buy them to take some of those cool details and add them to my TNT patterns. But that discrepancy seems unforgivable when it clearly says those are finished inches.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your fun colors! I like her Peggy's designs and classes, but find the pattern measurement guides useless for the tops... I love my own Giorgio top, but found the correct size only by trying on someone else's finished top. That said, you reminded me that it's an easy sew & fits nicely on me, though the sleeve was a bit snug. I will reshape the neckline to match my Pamela's patterns T - it has a really pretty curved shape that suits be better than this sort of boat-neck shape on me.
ReplyDelete