This isn't going to be a real tutorial, but I will do a basic outline, with photos, of what I did. It's not perfect, doesn't fit her perfectly, but it's pretty close.
I also made a little cowl/snod to wear around her neck, it's in a photo or two. We'll start with her wearing the coat and then go on to what I did.
Here she's looking all elegant and regal. Ha, don't let her fool you, she's a total goofball.
She wasn't too sure about the cowl. I might add some Velcro to attach it to the back of the coat.
Wasn't it convenient that we had a dusting of snow today? It did make for some cute photos.
Okay so for the tutorial. I have never sewn with polar fleece before and it really was easier than I though. I did test on my machine to see how it acts and tested my binding technique too.
First I measure Penny from her tail to around her chest and back to her tail and got 54". I divided that in half for 27".
I measured around her chest, kind of to wear I'd want the coat to fit and got 27".
I cut out a double layer of polar fleece 27"x27".
With a plastic plate I rounded off the front and back bottom edges. I also did a little shaping between the two (where the bottom strap would go) and curved it in a bit by her tail (totally no necessary).
No I just cut in a few inches at the neckline to I could drape it over her and see how close we were to fitting. Hey, it's looks pretty good already, I even impress myself at times. Penny wasn't too impressed.
Now I sort of measured, sort of guessed on a neckline shape, and drew it on (used the plate) and then cut it out. I also rounded off the edges since it would be easier to bind.
For binding I used 2 inch strips of a polyester knit I once bought, it's actual sport performance type of fabric, but the color matched perfectly. Folded that in half and pressed then serged it on the backside of the coat. I used a narrow 3-thread serge just for the fact that I should have maybe cut wider strips.
The straps are both made the same. I sewed the Velcro on before the binding to catch the edges. Then sewed them on to encase the raw edge. Turned out pretty well. The cowl is just a 12" piece of polarfleece sewn in a circle and I don't know how long it was.
Great dog coat! My retrievers are jealous.
ReplyDelete