Needle Nook Fabrics in Wichita, Kansas is where I took my first bra making class. Anne St. Claire is a wonderful teacher and has been teaching for many years. She does not have an online site to sell her wonderful bra making supplies, but you can either phone or email her. Kits are a wonderful deal and all the supplies are in each kit except for the underwires. If you EVER have the opportunity to take a class with Anne, don't skip out. You will come out with a bra that fits and is wonderfully comfortable. It might not be perfect, being bra #1, but you will be amazed at what you created.
Fays Fashions & Fabrics is where I ordered a bunch of grab bags of laces, fabrics and elastics from, and everything I received was wonderful and fun. So I am very comfortable recommending this online dealer.
Sew Sassy Fabrics is a site which sells many bra making supplies. I have not ordered from them so I can not comment directly.
Bra-makers Supply is an online store from Canada with absolutely beautiful and high quality fabrics, laces, elastics, and supplies. I ordered the "Bra Makers Manual" which has wonderful instructions and information about bras and bra making. I definitely do recommend it. I also purchased one of their patterns and a kit. Once you're on the site, click around and read through the blog for more helpful information.
Bra-making classes has some great step-by-step tutorials
Venusian Glow is absolutely the best site for learning about bras and how to fit them well. Follow the directions on the Bra Matrix pages and you are totally set to go. My favorite page teaches how ill-fitting bras cause Armpit Rolls (something I deal with, ugh.) Seriously just go from link to link on this site, read it all, look at all the pictures, and you will learn so much about bras.
Braqueen Exposed has a lot of good bra information, just start clicking through the links. She has a review page with photos of people wearing the bras they've reviewed.
Don't waste your time looking at the Victoria Secret catalog for bras. Seriously, those women don't wear a single bra that fits. The bras are many sizes too small, just to enhance the cleavage. The problem with that is that the consumer looks at those photos and then thinks that is how a bra is supposed to fit. Instead, check out the Bravissimo Online Catalog to see photos of properly fitted bras on adorable models. You can also request a catalog to be sent to your home and use it for fashion ideas in your own bra making.
Li'l Miss Muffett- Heather has some photos of bras and lingerie she's been sewing on her own blog. Lots of really cute things.
Sigrid's Sewing Projects- Sigrid sews some of the most beautiful lingerie I've seen. Her fabrics and laces are amazing. Also on her blog, click on the tutorial link at the top, and then click again (she's still working on her site.) You will come to a page of Sewing Tutorials and there is a wonderful one on lingerie.
By following links online (blog to blog) I've found a few blogs from Dutch women on sewing lingerie. They make some super cute stuff, and it's fun to let Google translate the pages for me.
Lingerie Poetsie
Gestrikt by Tialda
creaBH
As far as pattern goes, Kwik Sew has quite a few patterns that have good reviews on Pattern Review. Anne St. Claire has her own Elite and Queen Elite patterns (check her site at Needle Nook Fabrics above. Bra makers supply has patterns they have designed as well as other patterns. There are numerous other bra patterns, just have tried any others, though over time I will be trying them all.
Just give it a try, you'll probably become addicted to the process as I have.
Hi Annette, How very kind of you, that you named my blog. greetings from Diana (Lingerie Poetsie)
ReplyDeleteThanks for mentioning me so kindly. We are very lucky here with Kantje boord as shop to go to with the most wonderful collection of lingerie fabrics and notions you've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for linking the bra-making classes by Pauline that are posted on my site. I am reassured that the internet is for sharing information.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great bra making related links! It is very timely as our local ASG chapter is bringing in a bra making expert and I plan on taking her class.
ReplyDeleteThank you :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat you reading my Blog with help of google translate) Txs!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the links! I have been wanting to make a bra, and this will be really helpful!
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to put together a list of links!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for doing this. I'm enjoying getting aquainted with your blog. For some reason, IE won't let me put it in my favorites and haven't had much luck googling it either. I have to keep going back to PR to get the link. GRRRR Gonna have to figure this one out!
ReplyDelete