Saturday, October 19, 2013

Back to sewing - back to bra making

Wow, long time no chat.

I've decided to put the old sewing machine back into gear and decided to start with bras. Just a short rundown on what I've done, later updates will be better, as they are a good form of record keeping. I redid my measurements and pulled out the full-band pattern by BraMakers Supply. I've done this pattern quite a few times in the past. My current measurements fall outside of the pattern range, too small now. I worked on some modifications, made up 2 muslins. Bra one was too small, just a bit. Bra two was just deformed. I'm also noticing a big underwire dilema.

My favorite bra (photo below) has underwires that are so tough and stiff, they don't move, and I like that. The ones I have are much more flexible. I'm going to do a lot of sample purchasing in the near future, or I'll just have to learn to make my own (yes, it's gone through my head.

My new plan is to purchase a new pattern, more underwires, and lots of elastics and work on this.

Today I will put on my best fitting bra and add lots of masking take on it to see if I can get a perfect fit and actually make my own pattern. Other things I've noticed when comparing my favorite bra, is that the elastics are not as big, the powernet is soft (two layers of thin powernet) and the whole thing feels less heavy duty, except for the underwires.

Here's a photo. It's the Wacoal Retro Chic Full-Busted Underwire Bra. As you can tell it is a seamed bra, so I should be able to get a good pattern fit. Wish me luck. I'll post again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Bravobella bras sells the flex lite underwires - very light and flexible... you could easily replace the underwires in your RTW by picking out the close-off stitches at the under-arm end of the wire casing :)
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete