Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Bra Saga ~ a new muslin

I had intended to show what a marvelous masking tape "boob" dummy I had made (and yes, I do have the photos) but when I went to cut it up, it was still too curvy.

So I went to the drawing board and decided to start from scratch.  Oh...I have a pattern that I've never used, a quite "unattractive" bra pattern, to say the least.

Here it is.  Kwik Sew 3594.
Quite blah and boring, and very utilitarian looking, don't you think?  But look harder, doesn't it look just like the Wacoal bra in my previous post that I LOVE so much.  I guess I never realized my seam runs horizontally, maybe it's just the way my bosom works best.

So....I decided to start from scratch like I said, and follow a new pattern.  I cut out the size 34 D (my current size) and followed the instructions.  I don't know about you, but it's sometimes hard to follow instructions when you know so much.

Guess what, I'm wearing it now...3 hours later.  I purposely made sure none of the colors matched, that I used odd bobbins of thread and laces.  And it fits damn well.  

Of course, I did learn something.  I learned WHY we used plush elastics...this thing itches.  

My goal in the next week is to make up a couple more.  Keep it simple, work on my technique and fit.  Then I would like to branch out and make it more perfect.

I'm attaching the photos.  Yes, that's me in all my chubby belly glory.  The point is that it fits. There is a microscopic bit of too smallishness right at the center front where the band doesn't sit absolutely against my sternum.  Guess what...my fave bra doesn't either.  I'm going to attempt to add the little bit to the size before I switch fabrics.




5 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like a great fit! Very much like the Elite bra pattern from Needlenook Fabrics (also from bravobella bras), except hers has a little scoop at center front band bottom that helps accommodate Have you ever tried that one? My most comfortable bra pattern is the Bravo2. I really like the bra kits at Bravobella and Needlenook (they are mom and daughter) and took Anne's at Needlenooks' bramaking class when she was in Northern VA area, just for customized fitting expertise. I also did the "creating my own mold" pattern using paper surgical tape with good success. Hurrah for your bra sewing... I am about to try the Shelly bra pattern from bramakers... when I get around to it...!!!
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I took Anne's class in Wichita with my sewing group. We went for a long weekend and had a blast. The original pattern I got from her is now to big, and I'd need the smaller pattern. But it did always fit me pretty well. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete