Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sure-Fit Designs, Pants Master Pattern

I got my Sure-Fit Designs kits the other day and immediately went to work on the pants draft.  I still have some of a bolt of inexpensive polyester suiting I bought once for just this purpose.

I took my measurements and went to work.  And talk about easy.  The instructions are clear and the videos are easy to follow.

After cutting out my pieces I basted them all together and looked at my backside with a 2nd mirror and thought "dang, they hang pretty well."

The only issues I had were the front darts being about 1" too long, and I'd prefer a bit wider leg at the ankle, but I'll work on that with my first "real" pair.

I fixed the front darts, un-basted it all, sewed it back up with a simple zipper in the center back, added a 1" waistband with the same measurements as described in the pattern, sewed the seams and serged all the edges.

This is what I have right now, and I'm going to wear them to lunch with my sewing group for them to critique farther:

The fabric is lighter weight than I'd prefer for pants, but except for the minor lines around the right knee in the back photo (and that can be the pants hanging up on my shoes) I really don't see any issues.

I'd like to wear them a little lower on my waist, maybe drop my crotch length by 2" (1" front and 1" back) and add the straight leg at the bottom, a bit wider, to flow over the shoes.  

I also do prefer a curved waistband, and those instructions are in the pattern too, but I might just wait on that till I have the standard pattern perfected.

So the next goal is to make a regular pants with a front zip, do my few minor alterations on the leg and go from there.  I can either use the same fabric, but I might see if I can find another polyester suiting that's just a bit heavier weight.  I don't want to deal with lining pants, at least not until they are perfected.  Plus, for how I wear pants, I don't necessarily prefer them lined.

2 comments:

  1. They look really nice Annette! What a good fit... and on the first try!

    ReplyDelete