Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Vintage Jacket - Simplicty 5623 (dated 1964)

I've decided to do the Vintage Pattern Contest to keep me moving in the right direction...SEWING. I hauled myself over to Fabric Recycles (a cool store here in KC) and searched through all the patterns.  I came home with three, and the one I'm doing for the contest is a Channel-inspired jacket.  I can so see the ladies in the '60's making this out of a double knit polyester.

Here's the pattern, Simplicity 5623, dated 1964 (I was born in 1963, how cool is that?)
I found a size 16, which has the following measurements:
Bust 36"
Waist 28"
Hips 38"

Today a size 16 Simplicity pattern has the following measurements:
Bust 38"
Waist 30"
Hips 40"

After doing a muslin, it seemed to fit just fine, but my upper chest is 35 inches or so, and it's a boxy style.

Look how nice it is to have a pattern without a gazillion lines on it:

My pockets are lined and I used the selvedge for trim and will also use it down the front.  I cut off the selvedge about 1/4" into the fabric, which I folded over and pressed.


I wasn't totally "vintage" as I used fusible interfacing:



So far so good. I'm right now working on tacking the facing to the front/back using a hemming stitch.  The lining will be sewn on the traditional way (not bagged).





1 comment: