Saturday, November 7, 2015

T-Shirt and measurement comparison

So we continue now by measuring the four different patterns and a t-shirt I like.  Some of the measurements are front/back, and some are just combined (bust and hips.)  They are not exact as I rounded a little bit, there is a slight discrepancy when drawing out ones own patterns.


All measurements above are in inches.  The patterns were drawn out at 100 cm for the bust (which is ~39 3/8") and 110 cm for hips (which is ~43 3/8".)  My bust is actually around 41-42" but I was using the high bust since my upper chest/back always need to be made smaller.

You can see above that the shoulder width is larger on  tops 1,2,4 than 3.  The smallest bust is also in top 3.  The hip is smallest on 3 and 4.  The length really isn't important.  The armhole depth is shortest on top 3.  The sleeve height isn't important either.  And the sleeve width is smallest on tops 1,3.
  
So Top 3 was the winner, the one I chose, and based on the images, it truly tells me nothing.  But shoulder width is extremely important as we all know, bust is very important, hip not so much as that can easily be made larger or smaller, and armhole depth is important as that also relates directly to the width of the sleeve.
I've since sewn up Top 3 a few times using the nicely shaped neckline from my own top.   My first was a looser fabric than the second two, it could have been smaller.  Plus I made 3/4 length sleeves for Fall.  I'm really pleased with the tops and the fit, and will post the photos in a later post.

I don't know if I necessarily learned anything from my experiment, and no, I've decided NOT to sew up all four tops, but what I do know is that we have to measure our patterns, know what we like and what fits, be willing to experiment, and not get upset when a pattern doesn't work out.






2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. One would think that since Top #1 is for slim figures, it would be the smallest. (I wonder how the pants would compare to others which are not for slim figures?) I actually have Supp. 298 and checked the line drawings for clues, but that doesn't work as they put the crosshatches in different locations. Knits would probably have the greatest variation since there are different amounts of stretchiness.

    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette,
    This is interesting indeed. I am considering a slim figure pattern and was trying to decide if I should go up in dots. I think I sell draft it as-is and then measure it. The nice thing about Lutterloh is that yo can make these trials without spending a fortune on patterns and dealing with all of the tissue as well.
    Thank you for this exercise! Bajasusana

    ReplyDelete