I'm using the pattern from Fit for Art and have also signed up for the pants fitting class on Pattern Review with Sarah Veblen.
I started with my first muslin and picked wrong. I used a size Medium with a back 1. There are 3 backs per size, 1 is for flat buttucks, 2 is round, and 3 is more rounded. You pick based on hips sizes and what you think/know your backside is shaped like. Considering I always have fabric under the butt I assumed that meant flat, which is does for the most part, but not based on my size.
My hips and abdomen (not waist) both measured 42" at the time I measure.
The first muslin was too, tight, so I went up to the back 2, and I still didn't have enough crotch depth. I drew out the back 3 for the medium and just looking at it knew it would be too big.
That's when I decided to sign up for the online class and watch all the videos. I started to think maybe I needed the back 3 but for the size Small.
I posted my "hello" post on the class board and Sarah popped in immediately and suggested the Small pattern with the back 3.
This afternoon I drew that one out, added extra fabric for my waist area and went to work. Below are my muslin shots (taken with a cell phone and two mirrors.)
I'm happy with the fit and this weekend hope to sew my first pair of pants which will basically be a wearable muslin to see how they fit. Then it's just adjust as needed and keep perfecting the pattern.





These look darn good, Annette. Bravo to you for your persistence. Wearing them is the real key and it looks like you are on your way.
ReplyDeleteAnnette, these look wonderful. I ave the same fit issue on the right leg, a little loose, but I have decided I cannot get perfection. Yours look wonderful! Wonderful!
ReplyDelete