
View D, the pink one, is what I decided to work on today. I am DEFINITELY a size 14 in the bodice. Okay, so that's a start, and the pattern has multiple cup sizes. Once again, great, I'm a D (34DD.) You'd think I'm off to a great start, right?
Nope. I have a size 22 waist. Be real already.
So lately the dresses I've made that have somewhat of an empire waistline have fit quite well. But the pattern above, which has an actual seam at the waistline...not so well.
Okay, so I did my alterations to the pattern, tissue fit (which I hate) and then made a quick muslin. It fits, it really fits. Reality is, it doesn't work with my body type.
I'm a wee bit hacked right now. Not happy with myself, so wondering if I should just go buy a Peanut Buster Parfait (I'm doing all I can to resist downloading an image to post...and I refuse to hotlink, good girl that I am.)
Sometimes sewing is very frustrating.
I went through the same thing with one of those great designer dresses from Vogue! At least you had the reality check before you snipped your good fabric. I have a size 14 bust and a 20 waist, I know your pain...
ReplyDeleteI still think that you should post muslin pictures.
PS. I think that you should experiment with raising the waist line and making it more empire. It is a classic style, and really cute.
ReplyDeleteThat is frustrating!! Even at the muslin stage, you've invested a lot of time. But if you aren't happy, time to run! There are so many pretty patterns out there...
ReplyDeleteAnnette, I think we all go through these phases. I follow your blog, so you say you don't wear dresses that much. So....you probably do not know what suits you and what does not. It is sometimes valuable to go in stores and have a look around. Try some things on.
ReplyDeleteThere are times when I have several wadders that I feel like posting everything on Ebay and buying my clothes. Then there are other days. Tomorrow will be a new day.
You have way more successes than failures.
HAPPY sewing!
Helen
Hey I totally understand where you're coming from. It's funny that empire waist dresses work so well for you and I'm the complete opposite. I just did a post on this dress early last month here http://tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com/2010/05/simplicity-3877.html
ReplyDeleteNo worries though! I've made several dresses just this year that made me look like crap. With each wadder though I'm really beginning to realize that as a short waisted person, I can't just wear anything. Can't wait to see what you churn out next!