I really hate to post the photos as I'm in "fat mode" right now, yet I know how helpful photos are that others post, so I'm just going to be brave.
Here's a photo of the "basket" which is pulling away from my chest. I'm also wondering if the center front needs to be a bit narrower. The channeling touches each other in the center front, but the channeling is also a bit wider than what I've used before.

Here's the photo of the bra on me. The more wrinkly side is the arm holding up the camera. You can also see the fatty armpit and back fat I have. Not a pretty site. In the photo it looks like the bra is too low under my arm, it really isn't. But at the same time I wonder about sewing a bra with more support under the arm. That is an area I really need support in. Bras tend to feel loose under the arm and tight at the lower band. Guess that has to do with my body shape. The slight fold shows clearly on the left side of the photo. I try to tuck my excess fat into the bra, but it doesn't stay there.

The fix for the basket is going up a cup size. But I've been looking at the pattern pieces and comparing the sizes and the F cup seems gigantic. But I can always just sew it and see how it fits. What's the worst that happens...I make a bra that's too big and fits comfortably when I'm wearing it at home.
Yet I still have folds to deal with, minor ones which probably wouldn't even be there if I was using a spandex based fabric.
Not sure what to do....off to examine pattern pieces some more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm editing to add that I think the issue is somewhat related to the underwire size. The underwires I have seem to be a bit small right now (as I've gained some weight back.) If I go up a cup size, or even partially, the undewire will be too small. Guess it's time to buy some different underwires.
Your bra is very pretty. I'm having the same problem with the basket on my bras. I'm going up yet another cup size in the Danglez DB3E pattern. I've also tried a few different under wires and I still get a basket but the size is different. Good luck with getting your bra fitting right.
ReplyDeleteCarlaF-in Atlanta
Hi Annette,
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can make the backpart a little higher.
That covers your little bit of 'fat'. ;-)
At the upper cup you can sign 0,4 inch to the center , than you get a little more space. That leaves the bra on your body.
I'm sorry for my bad English.
I like the colour of your bra. It's a nice bra.
greetings from the Netherlands
Diana. :-)
Diana, in my next draft I actually did add about 1/4" to the center front of each cup, towards the top. I started to raise the back, but I wasn't liking how it looks, plus I'd rather have it a bit higher under the arm also, so I'd need the longer wires.
ReplyDeleteCarla, I haven't tried the Danglez patterns, but it's sure fun to go shopping...lol.
The color is a bit boring (pretty pink is good though) but no lace as I need it to wear under a white blouse.
I want to get fancier though.
I think you are all so brave! I hadn't even considered attempting to make myself a bra even though it is a nightmare trying to find one that fits and supports well! I'll have to look into the patterns.
ReplyDelete