I truly cleaned it up before this explosion of fabric. I threw away trash and vacuumed all the dirty bits, all the edges and corners. I tidied up a bit, but not too much.
Reason being my sewing friend Melody/Ody was coming over to help me go through my stash. I wanted help figuring out keeps and not-keeps. The not-keep is a hard category. Okay, sometimes it's easy, something is truly ugly, but that guilt thing will pop up and make it hard to pass on (or in some cases throw away.
My goal in the next few days is to sort through this explosion of fabric and sort it into the closet that is designated as my fabric closet. And the sad thing is that I've gotten lazy and my cats will lounge in the closet too, it's warm and snuggly, cozy like a cave, just what a cat likes. But a few pieces were ruined from claws, and it was kind of hairy. I will be washing lots of fabric in the next few days, sorting some into ziplock bags (woolens) and tossing tossing tossing some more.
I also have a hard time parting with patterns, but I want to take the patterns in my other closet and place them on the floor in the fabric closet, then I can use that space for my most current patterns. Hmmm...do you see the pattern here? I have too much SHIT!
Then on top of it I have a ton of Burdas and Ottobres and I love my Lutterloh books (though they are mostly downstairs on my bookshelf. Just too much stuff.
Here we go with the photos...and please don't be too harsh on me. I'll update more in the next few days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This first photo needs some explaining. The tall table is my cutting table and the fabrics on top of it are pretty much my keep pile. The fabrics on the floor are my toss/give away pile. The fabrics on the smaller table with the fan were also keeps, but a few muslin pieces. Under that table are drawers for embroidery threads and other items.

This is obviously my sewing machine set up, which right now is also covered with fabrics. I have my serger, two sewing machines (one is an embroidery machine) and my coverstitch machine. I have the computer for watching videos. The totes with the manila envelopes by the window are full of my Silhouette Patterns, the ones I want to keep out for easy use, but to move to my closet.

This is actually a big double closet, the other half is full of knitting supplies, which also will need to be thinned out. I have totes of patterns I want to move out, all my notions, and other odds and ends.

This bookshelf is outside the room and full of sewing and knitting magazines.

This is the closet I use for my fabric closet. It is totally empty and thoroughly vacuumed, ready to be reorganized. I want to put my lesser used patterns on the floor also.

This is often what the closet looks like. This is a very bad habit I've let happen and when the fabrics are washed and put away, the doors will stay closed and the cats will not be let back in.
As a serious collector myself, I recognize how much work you have already done, so kudos to you! I would highly recommend that you move the not-staying fabric get moved out immediately..it will feel so much lighter and better demonstrate progress to date. It can live anywhere else: garage, car trunk...Thanks for sharing the tough stuff. Very inspirational! And you are so blessed to have a friend to help you evaluate the piles.keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the support. It's amazing how emotional decluttering can be. The hard part is that I have the room, so it's easy to keep things I really need to let go.
ReplyDelete