Friday, February 19, 2010

A bit discouraged

I know this happens to each of us, but it's amazing how it can kind of just bring the sewing desire down.

Jennifer, aka Okie2thdoc, gave me a really luscious piece of teal bamboo knit. I made a practice top using Kwik Sew 3756.


I was making a top, but I used the dress pattern and shortened the sleeves.

My muslin came out too bit with armholes too low. Easy enough, calculate the size issues, and retrace and I should be fine. Nope, now it's too tight all over and the armholes are still too low. I did a small in the upper chest.

I don't think I've ever had luck with a KwikSew pattern. Looking back at a bunch of top patterns I bought, I had the same issue with low armholes.

I'm kind of wondering if others have the same issue.

I did like the pattern for the panties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to Hancock Fabrics yesterday and got some good deals on fabrics to use for muslins. All the value fabrics were an additional $1 off, and since I just want the correct weight and preferably a light ugly color, I hit the jackpot. I got two different woven weights, one a light broadcloth weight and one a pants weight, and the same for knits, one a lighter stretchier one and then a heavier one.

I also got stocked up on needles and found buttons to put on my jeans.

Today it's raining, a good day to sew. I stayed out of the sewing room yesterday. Oh, and I'm not tossing the flopped top. I might have enough to piece a new front and use the back as the back of a new top. Sleeves can be recut....we'll see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your experience with the top. I hope you have enough fabric to salvage it. That pattern is so cute. I've sewn only one Kwik Sew pattern, and that's for a robe. How hard is it to get a robe to fit? I haven't bought any others because up until recently they've only had drawings depicting what's inside the envelope, and everything always looked so frumpy, even if they weren't. Now they're using a few models which is helpful. Maybe I'll start using them. I always have to have big armholes, so I don't think the low armhole thing would be an issue with me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had good luck with Kwik Sews...I think I am just the wrong shape for their pattern drafts! I like Burda better...fewer alterations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little trouble with KS, too. I'm used to Nancy Z's pivot-and-slide method (which uses the front width) and S&S patterns (which use back shoulder width). I had to develop my own chart for KS, and even that's a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete