I fit into their size 12 consistently, the pants were exact throughout the different styles, which I think is quite good. In the past I would have bought them based on fit, they fit well for all I knew, until I had a good look at the backside...those darn butt wrinkles.

Once again, I'm never exactly sure what the wrinkles are telling me, raise here, lower there, add here, decrease there, etc. But I do see another consistent factor, and that is that the wrinkles point MORE to my right hip, so my right hip is higher (I'll go check my numbers) and that I need to lower that side. I guess that means to add it at the waist? See, this is what confuses me.
I did measure the top of the waistband, took note where it hit in relation to my belly button, and went on to the next section in the store.
That was Ralph Lauren and the pants run large. I fit into a size 10, though they were a tad tight, and a size 12 was too large. The crotch length was also too long on all the pants, they went up to and over my bellybutton.
I did find some jeans I liked, but the boot cut ones had big pocket flaps, and I've decided that is a no-no for my backside.
Enough trying on pants. I realized that was about the same as sewing 10 muslins, none of which were "right enough."
So the SO and I wandered through the other sections of the designer section and I saw a lot of styles that I recognized as current pattern, how cool is that.
There was one top almost the same as the Jalie top I made recently, except the front wasn't seamed, but the back neck/shoulder area was the same. I adored the fabrics, which were rayon/lycra and just tried one on for good measure. At a $100 I wouldn't be buying one. What I did like was the longer tunic version and the slits at the hem. It was more flared at the hip also. The top I tried on was a large and much too small, I didn't even try the XL. Don't you love the stripe of dots over the bustline. I would hope as a sewer I would have noticed that and placed them elsewhere. Each of the tops was lined up differently. I didn't check if the front/back were lined up the same or not. The back of the neckline was also too snug, and I have a forward head. But aren't the colors of that fabric great?

Enough shopping (and not buying.) We went out to eat afterwards.
At home I measured that pair of dark green pants I'd sewn and the waistband was 1.5 inches larger. Hmmmmm. I took part of the waistband off, took off 1/2 inch on each CB side and also raised the CB 1/2 inch and I'll finish topstitching today and wear them and see how it goes. Oh, I scooped out the crotch a tad. I still need the leg width a bit narrower, at least for a heavy fabric like this one. See, I'm learning. Drapey fabric can have a wider leg width than stiff fabric.
I looked closely at the construction of the store pants, and mine equals it just fine, which I find nice to know.
I did like the color of the light bluish/grey ones I have on in the photo above, so that's something for me to look for. It's not a color I can wear around my face, but it works in the pants, and will move nicely into Spring.
I also want to start on the Jalie Jeans, the Sew-Along on PR, so will pull that pattern out today also.
No comments:
Post a Comment