Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bra done

I can't tie or make a bow for the life of me. This is obviously something I have to learn.

Here is my completed bra on the teenie tiny mannequin. It fits wonderfully in the cups, I still have too much looseness (only a tad) under the arm. I am going to redraft that part of the pattern.



Edited to add the bow I just made (rather than a new blog post.)


I have the bra on right now, the cups fit amazingly well. The band is perfect though it will need about 1/2" removed at the band edge of the cup right under the arm.

It's also somewhat itchy, at the back where the straps connect. The back of the straps fold over the ring, and I'm feeling that scratchy lace. That will be something to think about in the future. No lace (cheap scratchy kind) should be touching my body.

Also, I had to remove the channeling top-stitching along the cup edge as I was not able to get the underwire in. That was a real pain as it was tiny black stitches on that black lace. If I shorten underwires I'll probably not be able to have two lines of top-stitching, or will have to at least think about it ahead of time.

3 comments:

  1. I love this color and fabric combo. When I sew my own clothes I usually find that I'm fussier about fit than if I bought the item. Do you think that is true about bra sewing? I want to try it but am very happy with my purchased bras....but love the idea of these colorful bras with matching panties. Will I get pickier about bra fit when I make my own, just like I have with jackets and blouses in rtw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as fit goes, I feel I was lucky in taking the course with Anne and getting a well fitting bra from the get go. I would say I'm moderately fussy about fit. I'd only do bra sewing if it's something you want to do, give it a try...but it becomes easily an obsession. I haven't done many panties yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out really nice! Is this lace non-stretch? Oh man, I've had to pick out black on black stitching and it was a nightmare!! I feel for you...

    ReplyDelete