Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cats love fabric (and boxes)

Lucius just adores boxes and if it has fabric in it, even better. No joke, within minutes of opening a box of fabric, he will be sitting in it. He just has to test it out. Then the others have to come and inspect what is so exciting.


I'm working on a few things right now. I got the outside of the Vogue jacket (below) all done and it really looks cute and seems to fit well. I decided to order some lining for it, the Ambiance Bemberg Rayon everyone raves about, and ordered "nude" based on the color on the Fabric.com site. The real life fabric is much too dark for my ivory jacket, it's a like pinkish brown, and I truly needed a light ivory. I'm not even sure what I think about the fabric. It just feels like acetate lining to me. For the cost, I don't think I'll be purchasing it. I'll double check with others to see if that's just how it is.

I went to Joann's and just bought some of the "poshe" lining. I hope to get that finished up in the next few days.

I'd do it today but I absolutely want to get that darn chair recovered and out of my sewing room. It just sits there and stares and me, and is always in the way. Plus the giant air pressure stapler thingy and hose takes up tons of space. I don't remember if I posted photos of my sewing room (all cleaned up.) I know I did on PR, so I'll post them here too.


I love the arangement of my machines and the computer. The two glass desks were from OfficeMax and they are so stable and nice.


I'd still like to add a top to the raised cutting table so it can be a bit wider. Also when that table under the AC is moved then I can hopefully move the cutting table out to work on both sides. I'm not sure my exact plan yet. I'd also like to skirt the table, just so it looks prettier.


This is the chair that's been hogging up the room. I do want to figure out a better ironing station, but it needs to face the computer also, so it can't be up against the wall. I'm contemplating using the table that's under the window, and placing a shortlegged ironing board on top. Since I got the new steam generator iron, I don't think I can press straight onto a padded wood board, I think that would get too wet. I don't know what my best options are yet.


This half of the closet houses supplies. The other half still has stuff from my girls in college so it will be there for a few years still. I have my fabric stash in a large linen closet in the hallway. My goal is to not grow out of the linen closet for a stash. We'll see how I do on that...ask me again in a year.


I have some pictures I want to hang up still, I just haven't gotten around to it. This was my younger daughter's bedroom until she left for college. She painted it herself. I'm not a blue person, but it will stay that way for now (or she'd be sad.) I'd love to bring one of my wingbacked chairs up here to use to sit in and make the room cozier. I'm not sure I can fit it all well. The sewing area pretty much has to stay where it is, I want access to the windows.

3 comments:

  1. I finally found the swatch card I was trying to find the day you were here for the sleeve setting-in session. It has every color they make. You're welcome to borrow it any time. I love, love, love Ambiance so much, I'd hate to see you not use it just because of this one experience. It feels soooo luxurious when you slip into a jacket lined with it. I thought I showed you one of my jackets lined in it. I can't wait to see that Vogue jacket, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those "white elephant" UFO projects. I seriously love Ambiance, it is like wearing soft PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sondra, I'd love to see it and compare it to what I got from Fabric.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete