Thursday, January 28, 2010

Just chit chat

I've seriously been sewing off and on for the last few days, doing a lot of different things.

Okay, I worked on a pair of pants from Simplicity 2700. Here's the envelope cover:


I've had semi-good success since my flop with the Burda pattern, which I do think was my booboo. I will post exactly what I've done when my pants are complete. But let me say the first pair came out too tight. Once again, my mistake, everything seemed fine until the very end. Let's put it this way, they fit in the morning, by evening....no such thing.

I remade them in a dark green stretch denim and they seem to fit quite well. I'll bring them to our KCPinheads meeting tomorrow and have the ladies help me pin up a hem, then I hope to complete them, wear them dancing tomorrow night, and do a review.

Here's only one photo I've done. On the waistband of the original pair I sewed twill tape at the top edge, but it seems too thick to do with this new fabric. I decided to do a 1" strip of silk organza, stitched at the top edge, to give me no give, but also give no extra thickness. Hopefully you can see in the photo.

This is a side seam. You can see the inside pocket lining fabric, the lighter green, and it also edges the edge of the waistband that will be sewn to the inside. I recently bought a bunch of silk organza and plan on using it in different garments. I think this will become a great use.

Many years back I inherited an old sewing machine from my grandmother. I had always hoped for the treadle (as I know there was one) but this is the one I ended up with. It is a White Family Rotary from 1929. I figured that out from the serial number and also by hunting down photos online.

I've started to clean it up, and it took awhile to figure out the bobbin shuttle was inserted upside down which kept me from being able to pull up the bobbin thread. It worked pretty well once I figured that out. I will have to learn how to use the different accessories (I don't know if I care that much to be honest.)

My plan is to piece a simple quilt top on it, just to say I did.

Here is what I have for photos at this time.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your take on the straight to curvy silhouette of this pattern! I have one of these and haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did curvy as I have a butt and a belly and a bit of a sway back (I know the double darts are better for me than the single.)

    But I did a different technique for tracing out my pattern, modifying it to fit, so that's what I'll be discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with the organza! I am also planning on trying this pattern, so I will be looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete