So I started to make a muslin for Jalie 2682, but realized I was using the wrong type of fabric. Pattern calls for 40% 4-way stretch. I had a fairly unstretchy knit.

Whatever, I will learn.
My muslin wasn't working exactly as I'd please but I figured maybe it was due to the fabric, so I decided to just give it a go, based on the fact that most everyone raved about the pattern, that it fit just right, blah blah blah.
I posted my review on PR, here's the link.
After writing the review and wearing the top for much of last evening, I rethunk the design while in bed. This morning I was eager to work on my changes.
Front before:

Front after:

Back neckline before:

Back neckline after:

As you can see, those are really big changes.
In my review I stated that I had made a size Z based on my full bust (41" at the time.) When I went back to do my alterations, I took about 1/2" off of the front back neckline piece. I also took out about 1" at the center back neckline, and 1 1/2" at the centerback neckline at the folded edge, this is the portion right up highest on the neckline. By making the neckline smaller there, it hugs my neck better.
I also took in the shoulder seams about 1/2", leaving the sleeves alone.
Basically what I ended up doing was going down 2-3 sizes from the bust up. I will have to measure and see what I have. I want to make sure the area where the shoulder seams match is exactly the same.
Next thing I want to do is change the back piece, I don't want it to be 3 pieces, but rather 2 with a CB seam.
I did this top this past summer:

As you can see it is a similar style, but it actually has a CF seam and princess seams. But the back fits really nicely with the CB seam. I am able to add extra fabric to go over my bottom, and curve in at my back waist.
I will post when I do another top, and then I will redo my PR review also.
Very nice looking top.
ReplyDeleteAmazing what a difference that small change made! The top is much sleeker in the neck and shoulders. It looks very nice!
ReplyDeleteMuch better with the neckline change. I agree that it is more elegant and tailored looking. It just fits better. Please do include this info in your review. I just almost bought this pattern, but I didn't think that the neckline would be flattering on me. I agree about the stretchier fabric as well.
ReplyDeleteOkay, not that I thought it looked that bad before, but your changes made it look so much better!! You are so good to figure everything out and fix it. I really need to get going to keep up with your sewing skills. Sigh. Can't wait to see the next version!
ReplyDeleteYou've done a great job with those alterations. It's a lovely top - I love that print!
ReplyDeleteIt looks very nice!
ReplyDeleteWork from home India