Sunday, November 29, 2009

End of Jacket TNT day 1

It's getting late, and we all know it's not safe to sew when one is tired.

This is what I accomplished so far:

I did a 1/2" upper rounded back, just because I know I have one. Here's how it looks on the pattern. You can also see the 5/8" seam marked in purple ink. It seems to be a simple enough alteration.


Then I pinned it all together, as per Palmer/Pletsch instructions and put it on.


This is where it gets difficult. They make it look so easy on the video, but it's just hard alone. Pulling with my hands I could feel the center back meeting my center back, at least I hope that's what it was doing. On the front it was obvious I needed the FBA and I even measured, rather than eyeballing, and got 1 1/4".

So I did that alteration, followed the steps in the book. I even remembered to use a white sheet of paper underneath when drawing lines and such (and yes, it really does help.) I used the 1/2" tape (and I still shrunk my pattern pieces...note to self: turn heat down lower.)

Oh, and I also estimated out that I needed a 1/2" forward shoulder alteration, so I did that at that time too.

Put it all back together and it seemed good enough. I can't see pulls and such on a taped up pattern.

So the plan was to make a muslin....bah. I have more than enough fabric to make a muslin and redo it if necessary. I'm just going for it. So I got the pieces all cut out and tomorrow I will start sewing things up, and work on the fitting as I go (taking note so I can cut out the lining.)

The fabric I wanted to use, the khaki one, was actually a"stretch cord," or so it was called, and I don't want stretch. I want it to fit as it is, with this pattern. I had a big piece of a cotton satin twill or something or other (I'll drag up the label tomorrow and link to it if possible.) This stuff if pretty darn sturdy, and it doesn't stretch at all. Oh, and it's dark navy blue.

It's late, I'm tired, and a cat is meowing at me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're braver than I am. I haven't yet gotten up the nerve to make all the necessary alterations to this pattern for myself. Also, my first jacket was with fleece, which had some stretch, so you're definitely being smart by choosing to go the non-stretchy route for the first one (i wish I'd thought of that!). Good luck, can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete