Monday, December 7, 2009

Finished Jacket

I did my review for PatternReview, but I'll put the pics in here too.




I think the fit is pretty good. I have a bit extra right under the largest part of my bust, so I raised the bust point on the paper pattern and hopefully that works for the 2nd jacket I'm now working on.

I don't like the mushiness on the top of the sleeve, but I think that's just a fabric thing, and I don't want to spaz out over every little detail.

Now I'm onto the next jacket. I bought a polyester brocade at Joann's for 50% off and it is so pretty. I'm not a total snob yet about my fabrics and have no qualms about using this for a fun holiday style jacket.


The background is a very dark black/brown, and the colors are quite true in this photo. I bought the same green to use as a lining.

Since this stuff ravels and frays with the best of them, I've decided to just serge all the edges as I cut them out. I did test first to see if the edge shows when ironing, and it doesn't. It irons like a breeze and makes a nice sharp seam.

Here's the inside of a piece after serging it, but the colors are far from true in this photo.


The plan is NO top-stitching, and all seams pressed open.

2 comments:

  1. Oops, left a comment but I guess I forgot to do the word validation. Was just saying I really like your jacket - especially the topstitching, and how this lends itself to being a TNT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job fitting this, and the topstitching really accents that. I can't wait to see your brocade version.

    ReplyDelete