Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The shiny jacket in person....on person

Seriously, this is one shiny jacket. Now I have an impression when I put it on. I feel like an old lady overdressed for a holiday party. I brought it to our KC Pinheads lunch and I'm not 100% on the concensus. I think people just try to be nice at times, rather than 100% honest, and I need the honest (thanks Jennifer....lol.)

I put it on when I got home to take some pics, and I can maybe see tossing it on over a simple grey top, and just wearing it with jeans....not for a party. I could wear it to our dance place at night, it's dark, no one would see me, it would hang over the back of the chair...lol.

I'm not throwing it out yet. I still think I'll topstitch the front edge and collar.

Okay, here are the photos. You can see how the satin sags over the bust. Also though, I have leather jackets that do that too. It's all about support and how much structure the fabric has, etc. It's quite interesting.





So even though it's not perfect, I learned a lot. My sleeves are starting to go in like a dream. I finally have the easing thing down. I've just been doing the 2 rows of basting and pulling them in. From my reading though, I'm going to try some other techniques next. And I got this lining bagged almost perfectly.

Next time around I will follow the instruction by Kathleen Fasenella on her website and her book for doing the lining.

I decided to continue with the jacket making and I started a new pattern last night. It's Burda7934, here's a link to the page and the line drawing.

I am using view C without the tie belt and with some extra CF so it overlaps and just doesn't meet in the center.

The princess seam is very flat, not much shaping at all, so I need to work on that. The basic muslin I got done last night fits pretty well, but I have a bust, and when I wear my good bra, it's up there. I was cutting out the size 16 at the bust and increasing below, but since doing the muslin, I think I might start over and do the 18. Plus once you got over the size 16, the bust in the princess seam actually has a dart. I need to look at the pattern. Or maybe I can just add to the side front panel a small FBA, but I don't know if it will give it enough shape.

There aren't any reviews of this pattern. Oh, it also has all the lining pieces in the pattern too.

7 comments:

  1. Yah, it's pretty shiny, but the fabric is still beautiful. Would it still sag over the bust if you'd put on buttons and buttoned it up? I think it might just be doing that because you're wearing it open. Some of the examples in your previous post also have the same thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is pretty. I like it with the simple gray top and jeans, but I wouldn't know where to wear it to myself. Would taking in the princess seam just a touch help with the sagging? I am far from an expert in FBA's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Burda pattern, both the Chanel look alike and the collared version. I may have to get it, but I'll wait and see your version first.
    JAS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm nice and 100% honest, too! ; ) Seriously, I do think you could wear that jacket with a grey sparkly top and black pants or a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautifully shiny jacket, but wear it at night or on an overcast day--you will get a different effect. Great job!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments. I did try taking in the princess seam, and it helped up to a point. If continued I would have changed the entire curve.

    Yes, closing it with buttons would help. I hadn't put any on yet, but I wouldn't wear it buttoned either.

    I actually have a slightly shiny grey fabric I could do a shell out of. I will consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just because we don't say what you want to hear, doesn't mean that we're not being honest!! ;)

    ReplyDelete