Okay, so I just finished a third dress now in yet another totally different style. I'm not comfortable with the style, I feel like I'm wearing a sack. It doesn't help that I look fatter than I'd like either. I try very hard not to get hung up on that, but I still see it. Honestly, I'd prefer to have sleeves, even short ones.
I posted my review on Pattern Review, so I won't rewrite that all. Here's the link to the review if you are interested in more details.
Basically it's a fully lined (with ambiance) polyester crepe dress with invisible side zipper.




I posted the photos of the pattern a week ago or so, but it helps to see it again. It's Simplicity 2570.
From the photos I'm happy with the fit through the back. Actually I'm very pleased with the fit through the back. It looks just about perfect to me. The front just looks "sackish" and that's just a style issue, the dress fits right.
Or extremely close to right. I did a size 14 with FBA and extra hips, but maybe I'm needing to try a 12, or just a bit smaller than 14. Not sure....or maybe a bit of a hollow chest. In the last two dresses I have a bit of gaping at the chest, so I will look into the hollow chest. Or else a 12 in the front upper chest and 14 in the back. That would just mean a bigger FBA.
As far as "contemplating" dresses, I'm just wondering what styles to work on. I always liked summer dresses when it was hot but always worn lose long dresses that would tie in the back. I think I still like the fit of the dress when it fits under the bust and ties.
It needs to be loose so there's no undergarment show through (lumps and bumps.)
I am going to browse the Gallery on PR and also the pattern books online to get some ideas.
I don't think you look fat at all but rather very cool and comfortable. I wore my "sack" dress today and one woman gushed over it so much I was tempted to give it to her! Not! It was much to hot today to wear anything else.
ReplyDeleteThis dress appears to skim right past the fluff (hey, I have some of that, too). It looks great! However, I also prefer a slight empire line.
ReplyDeleteI agree the back of the dress is a perfect fit. Can you take a little out of the front diagonal seams from under the bust blending to nothing at the hips? This would give the front a little more waist shaping. I think sleeveless is fine on you - we can't all have Michelle Obama's arms! LOL
ReplyDeleteEveryone in new york wears sack dresses.
ReplyDeletehave you tried wearing it with a belt?
I can understand why you are unhappy with this dress...it seems a little schizophrenic...well fitted in the back...fluff skimmer in the front. Have you decided what you are going to do with it? Me, I would make it a top and toss the pattern! :)
ReplyDeleteHa ha...I like that, a schizophrenic dress.
ReplyDeleteI need to try a belt, I'm just not a belter, except to hold my pants up since I lack a waistline.
It probably is just a practice piece, at least fitting is getting easier.
everyone wears belts in new york!
ReplyDeletemommy, you will be so fashionable when you come visit me.
Michelle, that is a total hoot....I just gotta love it.
ReplyDelete