Thursday, May 13, 2010

Modellina Sundress

I don't have a photo of me wearing the dress yet. We don't quite have sundress weather right now, big storms last night. I really hope to wear it to my daughter's college graduation this weekend though and have some photos taken of us together.

The review has been posted on Pattern Review already and I don't really like to do double reviews, so here's the link to check it out, or link to it from the PR widget on this page.

Click on any of the images to see the full size.

Here's the completed dress hanging on the front porch.


The dress on the magazine cover grabbed my attention.


The instructions in Italian were interesting to say the least. Using the Google Translator is how I found out about the invisible side zipper and the full lining.


And seriously, we complain about tracing from Burda which uses multiple colors...Modellina uses just Black and Red and they are densely packed. It was difficult to figure it out, but once you get started it kind of flows.


I did find some errors, namely the front and back bodice pieces did not line up properly at the shoulders and side seams. Luckily the mistake was BIG enough to stick out, we're talking a full inch, not just 1/4" error. I used logic (I do have a bit of it, occasionally) and redrafted the corrected seams, and it all fit when complete.

In reading, I learned that Italian sizes are a bit different than the standard sizes from Burda. For instance, my sizes in Modellina corresponded to a 46 which in Burda is a 42. Funny thing is, I never sew a 42 in Burda, but usually bigger....so I have no clue what's up.

I measured, circled the correct measurements and sewed that size (ignoring the abdomen portion) and the dress fit. Seriously, it fit with no major changes. The only thing I altered was taking about 1/4" off the front of the seam right under my arm, to help with a tiny bit of gaping and bra showing.

The dress is a linen/rayon or cotton blend from Joanns (I don't remember the blended part, sorry. The lining is just perm press muslin.

It sewed up like a breeze and I look forward to trying another pattern from the magazine.

As far as the magazine goes, this is my 2nd issue. It's not fancy schmancy Italian garb like one might think. Most the items are quite wearable. Someone described it as a bit frumpy in a blog or post (can't remember exactly.) I'm not the most stylish person around and I don't really want to be either. I'll try a few more outfits before my final say though.

2 comments:

  1. whoa! Those red and black pattern lines are making my head spin! Great dress - I think yours is nicer than the cover photo.

    ReplyDelete