Sunday, May 30, 2010

Michelle's Mood Skirt

I'm working on a pencil skirt for my daughter, Michelle. I'm calling it the Mood skirt since that's where we bought the fabric in NYC. It's the same fabric I used on a sundress just recently. It is totally dreamy, a linen with an interesting weave.

The skirt pattern is one I traced off a well fitting skirt of hers. I made it up once before and lined it. Now I'm not lining it, since it's going to be a hot summer, and it will be a great work skirt unlined.

So a first for me is the Hong Kong seam finish. I can figure it out on the straight pieces and of course for the waist facing, but it's sure a puzzle for the basic vent. Here's a photo to remind you of a basic vent, unhemmed.


If I didn't press the back seams open, I can see doing a Hong Kong finish on the seams and continuing it over the vent pieces, but that's not what I want. So I'm going to start working on it, taking photos along the way, and see what I come up with.

Here's a close up photo of the inside of my invisible zipper and the Hong Kong finish. Not as pretty as I'd like, actually it looks better in real life as this is such a close up. But it will give me something to work on improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment